Integrated solution for digital switching and fiber optics operational verification
VERTA is an integrated instrument that combines inline optical power management for optical parametric tests, together with a high-speed, digital switch matrix for concurrent optical and/or copper interconnections between multiple bus test instruments and UUT interfaces. VERTA enables reliable, error-free bus communication and interoperability for high-speed, optically networked military weapon assemblies to minimize costly intermittent and No Fault Found test results.
VERTA is available in two configurations: an integrated LXI instrument and a PXIe 2-slot instrument.
The LXI configuration should be selected for test applications requiring 8 to 80 optical UUT I/O connections. It consists of a foundation chassis with modular I/O modules:
- Multi-Protocol Switch Module (Verta-3010) supports numerous SFP transceivers with optical or copper connections, multiple or single mode fiber that supports multiple bus protocols from 100M to 10G.
- Optical Power and Switch Module (Verta-3020) Adjustable power and repeatable measurement to detect faults across network operating range and compensate for ATE path loss.
- Wide-Range Power Module (Verta-5010) for optical-to-optical testing featuring extended range power attenuation across the network operating range
The PXIe configuration (Verta-P3020) is ideal for up to 4 optical I/O connections of switching and optical power management and can be installed in the same PXIe chassis as the bus test instrumentation it connects with. The PXIe VERTA provides a compact and scalable solution and can be expanded to up to 12 connections by bussing together instruments.
LXI Foundation Options
Rear maintenance Verta Foundations
- Verta-1004 (10 Gbps max., 4-slot)
- Verta-1007 (10 Gbps max.7-slot)
Front Maintenance Verta Foundations
- Verta-404 (4 Gbps, 4-slot)
Capabilities and Applications
- High-speed digital switching of optical or copper connections that supports multiple bus protocols over 100Mb/s to 10Gb/s
- In-line parametric test of optical transmitters and receivers to confirm operational requirements at factory test and depots, thus ensuring the interoperability of assemblies in network.
- Concurrent test of multiple buses on a single UUT, and parallel test of multiple UUTs.
- Next generation MOSA-compliant weapon systems with fiber optic connections and VITA 64 bus protocols such as Ethernet, Serial FPDP, and Fibre Channel.
- Newer weapon systems such as F-35, B-21, NGAD that use a fiber optic backbone to interconnect a distributed arrays of radar, video, sensors, data storage, displays, and processing units.
- Weapon system modernization upgrade platforms such as the F/A-18E/F, F-15 EX with fiber optic technology
- A wide range of supported buses and speeds (in both optical and copper) provides flexibility to replace most existing high-speed switches and eliminates redundant copies of test instruments
- Optical parametric test improves operational readiness of Weapon Systems, reduces number of bad assemblies in repair pipeline which in turn reduces overall UUT support costs
- Fully integrated solution reduces footprint and lowers acquisition cost as well as TPS implementation and maintenance cost
- Teradyne’s long-term support ensures long product life cycle and low ATE maintenance cost